|Here is my USS Nimitz CVN 68 1976 from the Trumpeter 1/350 scale kit. It took 2 years to complete with a total of 1,532.30 man hours. I wanted to portray the carrier in 1976 with Airwing 8 sporting Bicentennial markings.|
|The Hangar was built entirely from scratch using
20 thou plastic card , different gauges of telephone wires for piping
and trunking and small components from a spent PC motherboard for extra
detailing. The Hangar is lit up with it's own circuit utilizing 12 volts
DC strip LED's with a cordless diffuser system.
The Island had to be altered considerably.. .removal of sponson
starboard side , scratchbuilt
The Stern internal housing was completely rebuilt for more
accuracy, again most of it scratchbuilt.
The Hull was sanded clean. Piping and trunking added on using
various gauges of copper wire , telephone wire and soldering lead wire.
All ventilation grids were hollowed out , reshaped, repositioned
and more added , then replaced with perforated brass sheeting...some were
also blocked off as they were non existent on the vessel. All the
service openings, ie..boat decks, fueling decks etc. were removed
because they all looked like little ratholes and rebuilt from scratch ,
detailed The ones on the port side were relocated to a correct position
and lit up using 12 volt DC bulbs with another circuit of their own. Crane
Sparrow launchers reshaped and a new base structure was scratchbuilt
for them. Those provided with the kit were late 1980's versions and incorrect.
Hull Whip antennas and their supports were scratchbuilt , with correct
The Top Deck was all put together..airbrushed , and weathered
heavily in some parts... The decals were a nightmare. Disintegrating once
put in water. So all markings were airbrushed , markings were also missing
from the decal sheet , so I had to add them on. Once finished I attached
the whole deck in one piece to the already finished hull.. .making sure
there was a perfect alignment...no mean task.
The Seascape was sculpted from paper mache and painted with common
The Airwing was a breath of fresh air , adding on drop tanks
,sidewinders and repositioned control surfaces, all scratchbuilt. I even
opened some canopies with aircrew inside the cockpits. Hi Viz decals came
from Starfighter decals and Yankee models. I used both Trumpeter
and Tamiya aircraft
Deck Equipment. I used all the gear provided with the kit plus
a couple of sets from Iron Shipwrights models, which were also further
detailed . Trolleys , oil drums , service platforms, tow bars ,ground
power units, oxygen trailers etc. were all scratchbuilt using plastic sheeting
and miscellaneous parts from the photoetch scraps box.
Deck crew and uniformed personnel. A mixture of L-Arsenal...Northstar..Goffy
..at least 300 to 400 figures in all.
Paintwork The model was airbrushed in enamels as a base color. Highlights and lowlights were airbrushed using acrylics. I used artist oils to weather the ship and Ammo products to give the vessel a worn look. I used Gold Medal photoetch to detail the ship.
|Nimitz Class Aircraft Carriers by Brad Elward. Various articles from US Navy sites from the Web. Last but not least, I must thank my good friend, Mr. James Guard from the US, for his invaluable assistance to complete this model correctly.|
of Louis Carabott's work.